Go at your own pace and stop wherever you want along the wonderful roads of the world is the motto of the camper. And in the wake of this motto, let’s discover together 3 legendary itineraries of Europe in a camper with friends of Caramaps:
The Romantic Road of Germany by camper
For most travelers, Germany is not on the list of dream destinations. Is a mistake! If you take the Romantic Road, we assure you that you will never see things the same way again …
Traveling on the Romantic Road is traveling through German history with its 460 km of romance from Würtzburg (Norte Bavaria) to Füssen (Sur). To discover one of Europe’s 3 legendary itineraries by camper, we recommend 15 days of vacation.
We begin this journey, rich in art, culture and history, in Würtzburg famous for its wines. Then, we continue to Weikersheim, Röttingen and Creglingen: villages immersed in a medieval atmosphere with their colorful half-timbered houses.
In Rothenburg ob der Tauber – the city of 42 treasures – time has stood still. We continue the route to Wallerstein, Nördlingen and Harburg with a rich historical heritage to see. Along the Danube, we visit the cities of Donauwörth and Augsburg with its cathedral. We meet villages such as Friedberg and Hohenfurch before arriving in Rottenbuch known for a nature reserve that extends in its surroundings.
But the road continues and on the next stage, we take a break in Schwangau with its famous castles: Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein. The final stage of this tour in Europe by camper is in Füssen and its “Walderlebniszentrum” route among the treetops to admire the green of nature.
You can’t miss:
An Italian road trip: the Dolomites in a camper
We cannot talk about the 3 legendary itineraries of Europe by camper, without taking a trip to Italy and more precisely on the road to the Dolomites.
The Dolomites are a mountain range of the Eastern Alps and are one of the 54 Italian sites on the UNESCO list.
Famous for climbing, hiking or skiing, the Dolomites are visited every year by thousands of Italian and foreign tourists. These mountains are said to be over 250 million years old and have a very rich history. Additionally, incredibly beautiful villages, lakes, and rivers attract adventure seekers.
It is not possible to enjoy the beauty of the Dolomites and its valleys with a single exit.
But having a week of vacation, the advice of the friends of Caramaps is to follow their itinerary:
- Lake Carezza, the city of Bolzano and then of Santa-Maddalena to enjoy magnificent views of the Odle
- here the direction is for Val Pusteria and Lake Braies, the most beautiful of the Dolomites but perhaps the most famous and therefore very popular
- continuing, we arrive at the summit of the Tre Cime di Lavaredo, where you can stop for the night to be at the foot of this wonder. Here, you can go trekking discovering the beauty of the Natural Park. Among fir trees at an altitude of 1,759 m, stop at Lake Misurina, it’s worth it
- finally, we take the road of the Dolomites back to Passo Falzarego where another splendid hike awaits you: the one to the Scoiattoli refuge and the Cinque Torri – five stone towers that dominate the Cortina d’Ampezzo valley.
Along the Strada delle Dolomiti you cross villages scattered in the valleys and each one offers delicious restaurants. Make sure you stop by to taste the local culinary specialties!
You can’t miss:
- The lake of Braies
- Earth pyramids of Longomoso, Renon
Travel The Dolomites by camper
The Route des Alpes in France
Our route on the roads of Europe in a motorhome moves to France on the mythical route that crosses the French Alps from Lake Geneva to the Mediterranean Sea through the largest Alpine passes. The Great Alps road is also part of our 3 legendary European motorhome itineraries.
This mythical road will allow you to discover magnificent French Alpine landscapes. Built exclusively for tourism purposes, it connects Thonon-les-Bains (in Haute-Savoie) to Menton (in the Alpes-Maritimes) and crosses the Alps from north to south. This route passes through 4 national parks and 16 mountain passes. Along the way, take the time to admire the tranquility of beautiful Lake Geneva.
Our advice is to cover it in 10 days of vacation to make the most of this itinerary of about 700 km and to pay attention to the dimensions of your vehicle. The route includes particularly steep and narrow roads.
Shall we start our journey?
- The first stop is Thonon-les-Bains, a famous spa where you can visit the Ripaille Castle
- Passing through the Cols de Gets and the Col de la Colombière, you reach the Col des Aravis
(You are in the area of reblochon, a typical cheese from Savoy that is used for the yummy Raclette!)
- Then, we meet the Col des Saisies with wonderful views and arrive in Beaufort
- We continue towards the Col de l’Iseran to reach the Vanoise National Park (the first French natural park) where there are many ski resorts and where you can admire Lake Chevril – an artificial lake built in the Second World War
- Follow the Col di Télégraphe with a breathtaking view and where there is an impressive fortification
unmissable stop with the Col du Galibier and Col dell’Izoard where a rocky desert and a lunar landscape awaits you
- We then go down to the town of Barcelonnette and into the Mercantour National Park; here the beauty of the landscape is almost breathtaking as it is wild especially in its central area completely uninhabited except for some marmots.
- To conclude, the last stage takes us from Saint-Sauveur-sur-Tinée to Menton on the Mediterranean Sea
You can’t miss:
- Lake Geneva
- The Gorges of the Devil’s Bridge
- The Col de l’Iseran
We hope we have made you want to leave as soon as possible and discover the 3 legendary itineraries of Europe in a camper. But, at the moment, we stay at home, so close your eyes and dream with us!